I’ve been thinking about cakes a lot lately. Is that because May is my birthday month? Probably. It’s Mother’s Day this month too so there’s a lot to celebrate. Oh, and I may not have mentioned that it’s our 20 year anniversary. Oh yes, it’s time to bake that cake and eat lots of it too. If I get to the ocean soon (Nanaimo perhaps), I’ll eat my cake then I’ll be livin’ the dream. Wanna watch the video Cake by the Ocean? (Because obviously that’s what I’ve been alluding to;)
I’ll be picking my daughter and her friend up after school to take them to ballet and it’s my duty to have a snack ready and waiting when they get in the car. Now my daughter is usually gluten and dairy free but her friends are not so I have to think extra hard to come up with something they’ll like and not give a funny scrunchy face to. I think of it as a little culinary challenge. I won big a few weeks back when I made “Lime in the Coconut Muffins”. They even liked my little rendition of the song too. Ah, it’s all about entertaining and keeping the kids happy as we make our way from one extra-curricular activity to another.
I have high hopes for this Banana Cake. The texture is really fine since I sifted the flours before mixing with the wet ingredients. And what child doesn’t like bananas. Very few. So the sweetness of the muffins comes from those and a 1/3 cup of raw honey. Honey is just miraculous as well as delicious. In fact, honey is highly recommended on hospital wards since it has a long line of use in health conditions.(1) For those with a risk of heart disease or diabetes, one study found that honey raised triglyceride levels 11-19% lower than honey.(2) Also honey has a high level of antioxidants which help to protect our cells.(3)
This Gluten and Dairy-free Banana Cake is moist which a lot of “off the wheat beaten path” cakes do not. I always find little and big crumbs lodged in the seats when I bring along a baked gluten free snack for the kiddos to try out. However, I have very high hopes for a mess-free ride with this cake tonight. Wish me luck with traffic.
Gluten and Dairy-Free Banana Cake
Moist gluten free cakes that don't crumble may seem like a pie in the sky dream but this Banana Cake has luscious moisture from the bananas and honey. The two just seem meant to go together. Sifting the flour beforehand makes for a nice fine texture as well.
- DRY INGREDIENTS
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon or cardamom (optional)
- WET INGREDIENTS
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350
- Step 2 Grease an 8 by 8 square pan
- Step 3 Sift flours in a large bowl then add baking powder, soda and sea salt
- Step 4 In a medium bowl add all wet ingredients and mix with a blender for 1 minute
- Step 5 Add wet ingredients to dry and use a whisk until just blended
- Step 6 Pour in the square pan and cook for 30 minutes
- Step 7 Cool for 10 minutes
- Step 8 Serve with Love and Enjoy!
- Schramm, Derek D., Malina Karim, Heather R. Schrader, Roberta R. Holt, Marcia Cardetti, and Carl L. Keen. “Honey with High Levels of Antioxidants Can Provide Protection to Healthy Human Subjects.” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry51, no. 6 (2003): 1732-735. doi:10.1021/jf025928k.