Finally a cereal any mom could be proud to give her child. I’ve scoured the recipe books and I’ve come up with an excellent high fiber and protein morning alternative to high carb cereals. Loaded with seeds and heart-healthy oats, it’s great to send to school as a snack–or for mom when she’s on her way to pick up the munchkins at school.
While we’re on the topic of seeds though, let’s take a little bit closer look at the many benefits a few of them have for the body
HEMP SEEDS: VEGETARIANS WILL BE HAPPY TO KNOW THAT HEMP SEEDS CONTAIN ALL 20 AMINO ACIDS THEREBY QUALIFYING IT AS AN HONEST TO GOODNESS COMPLETE PROTEIN. IN 2 TABLESPOONS YOU’LL GET 5 GRAMS OF PROTEIN, 2 GRAMS OF FIBER AND 6 GRAMS OF THE GOOD FATS.
PUMPKIN SEEDS: WHAT I LOVE MOST ABOUT PUMPKIN SEEDS ARE THEIR HIGH TRYPTOPHAN CONTENT. TRYPTOPHAN IS A PRECURSOR TO SEROTONIN, THE FEEL GOOD CHEMICAL IN THE BODY. THESE LITTLE SEEDS, ALSO KNOWN AS PEPITAS CONTAIN GLUTAMINE WHICH IS A PRECURSOR TO GABA (GAMMA-AMINO BUTYRIC ACID) THE BODY’S CALMING NEUROTRANSMITTER IN THE BODY. IF ANXIETY STARTS REARING IT’S HEAD, I’M JUMPING ALL OVER THESE SUPER SEEDS
SESAME SEEDS: THESE LITTLE DYNAMOS ARE VERY HIGH IN SOME KEY MINERALS SUCH AS MANGANESE, MAGNESIUM AND CALCIUM. THEY ALSO CONTAIN SESAMIN, SESAMOLIN, SESAMOL AND SESAMINOL–COMPONENTS THAT ARE VERY POWERFUL ANTI-OXIDANTS. THESE SEEDS CONTAIN THE MOST TRYPTOPHAN THAN ANY OTHER SEED COMING IN A 1097 MG PER 100 GRAM SERVING.1
SUNFLOWER SEEDS: THESE POPULAR SEEDS ARE HIGH IN THE MONO-UNSATURATED FAT, OLEIC ACID, WHICH YOU HAVE PROBABLY HEARD TOUTED FROM MEDITERRANEAN DIETERS AS THE HEART HEALTHY OIL OF CHOICE. THERE’S NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT BUT IT’S ALSO PACKED WITH VITAMINS AND MINERALS.
CHIA SEEDS: THESE ARE MY GO TO SEEDS FOR KEEPING SOME “REGULARITY” TO MY DAY. YOU CAN DO A LITTLE EXPERIMENT BY TAKING A TABLESPOONFUL OF CHIA SEES AND ADDING SOME WATER. WITHIN A COUPLE OF MINUTES THEY BECOME GELATINOUS. NOW IMAGINE THIS LITTLE PASTE INCHING IT’S WAY DOWN YOUR DIGESTIVE TRACT. MMMM, SMOOTH SAILING, RIGHT! ONE OUNCE CONTAINS ABOUT 4 GRAMS OF PROTEIN, 9 GRAMS FAT AND A WHOPPING 11 GRAMS OF FIBER. AND LET’S NOT FORGET THAT IT’S A GREAT SOURCE OF OMEGA 3 FATTY ACID.
Grain Free Nut Free Super Seed Granola
You'll be very surprised how quickly this batch of granola is eaten for any excuse: breakfast, snack time, after school snack time, in-the-car snack time...and that's just me! And not to leave any meal time by the wayside, you can even use this granola as a topping for coconut ice cream after dinner.
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 1/2 T spice (I use 1/2 T cinnamon, 1/4th t ginger, 1/8th t clove, 1/8th t nutmeg and 1/8th t cardamom)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut syrup
- 2 T sunflower seed butter
- 1 apple, any variety, cored, skin on
- 1 T vanilla extract
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Step 2 Place parchment paper on a baking sheet
- Step 3 Mix all dry ingredients together in a medium bowl
- Step 4 In a food processor mix remaining wet ingredients and blend well until apple is completely smooth
- Step 5 Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix well
- Step 6 Pour onto parchment and flatten out
- Step 7 Bake in oven for 45 minutes stirring once every 10 minutes (watch carefully since granola can burn quickly)
- Step 8 Serve with love and Enjoy!
- Nutrition Data know what you eat. Accessed November 06, 2017. http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-012079000000000000000-w.html?maxCount=52