Three of my favorite ingredients in one harmonic culinary chorus! Plus there’s something very satisfying to me about having all my nutrition essentials in one dish. Let me explain: usually I compose a dinner meal with a good protein source (mainly fish, meat or poultry), a resistant carb/fibre (sweet potatoes or rice), a good fat source (avocado, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil or ghee), and a green veggie (kale, broccoli, swiss chard or some exotic leaf like dandelion). Each of these takes up some plate real estate so when I’m able to put them all together in a delicious menagerie, I feel like I’ve accomplished something–and I’ve cut down on meal prep time! That’s exactly what this dish provides–all the essentials mooshed up into one fine tasting and looking casserole.
This recipe was inspired by the Chicken Casserole recipe found in Marina Slajerova’s The Ketodiet Cookbook. To shake this recipe up, I replaced the mushrooms with sweet potatoes but the former would be delicious too. Martina uses blue cheese and cheddar cheese whereas I replaced them with the more easily digested goat feta. I seldom use dairy but found that this dish needed the extra punch of the salty feta. If you need to avoid dairy completely, then try omitting the cheese and adding 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast for a hint of nutty/cheesiness.
Chicken, Broccoli and Sweet Potato Casserole
This one pot/casserole dish wonder can keep our family of 3 going for a few days. It's a colorfully healthy meal of substance (aka our go-to easy comfort meal).
- 1 lb chicken thighs, cut into small bite size cubes
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1/8 tsp pepper, to season chicken
- 1/8 tsp sea salt, to season chicken
- 1/8 tsp rosemary, to season chicken
- 1/8 tsp thyme, to season chicken
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups shredded sweet potato (about 2 small--and use your food processor to save some time!)
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into very small bite size pieces
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups goat feta (about 1 small tub)
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Step 2 Heat an extra large pot to medium high then melt the ghee
- Step 3 Add the chicken brown and stir occasionally until it browns adding in the chicken seasonings the last few minutes
- Step 4 Set the chicken aside in another bowl
- Step 5 In the same extra large pot add the onions and saute for 3 minutes then add the garlic and saute 2 minutes more
- Step 6 Add the sweet potatoes and broccoli and cook for 5 minutes soften
- Step 7 While they are cooking, whisk the eggs, coconut milk and salt together in a small bowl
- Step 8 Take the pot off the heat and let cool for a few minutes Add the chicken and egg/coconut milk mix as well as the goat feta into the pot
- Step 9 Mix thoroughly then pour into a large casserole dish
- Step 10 Cook for 40 minutes. Serve with love and enjoy!