Oh oh, another green banana flour recipe. Definitely not a bad thing to be obsessed with. Plus it’s gluten-free! Make sure the oats are labeled as such when you buy them since cross-contamination can occur in factories also handling wheat and other gluten-containing products. This Apricot Crisp recipe was inspired by a few things:
1. a load of apricots given to me by my friend, Alix
2. the green banana flour that has captured my nutritional interest because of its high amount of resistant starch. I have a few other blog posts about the benefits of resistant starch so I’m not going to carry on about it here. Check out the Green Banana and Coconut Cake post from last week for more information.
3. a mouth-watering recipe I found online at www.barefeetinthekitchen.com.
4. our lovely Aunt Anne, who we see very infrequently, requested this recipe after a family reunion we attended last weekend. Here it is, Anne. I hope your girlfriends enjoy it as much as you did.
Green Banana flour can be used to replace many grain flours. In this Apricot Crisp recipe I substituted 1/2 cup green banana flour and 1/2 cup almond flour for the 1 1/3 cup brown rice flour used in barefeetinthekitchen.com's recipe.
- What You Need for the fruit layer:
- 2 cups chopped apricots (about 10)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ T arrowroot starch
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp vanilla or almond extract
- What you Need for the crust layers:
- ½ cup green banana flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot starch
- ¾ cup gluten-free sprouted steel cut oats (for a crunchier texture) or gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut butter, grass-fed butter or ghee (melted)
- Step 1 What You Need to Do:
- Step 2 -Preheat the oven to 380 degrees
- Step 3 -Grease a 9×9 pan with coconut oil or butter or line with parchment paper
- Step 4 -In one bowl mix together the fruit layer ingredients and set aside
- Step 5 -In another bowl mix together the crust layer ingredients (divide in two)
- Step 6 -Layer the pan with ½ the crust layer mix and press down firmly
- Step 7 -Then pour all the fruit layer mix on top
- Step 8 -Finally sprinkle on the rest of the crust layer mix but do not press down
- Step 9 -Bake for 35 minutes
- Step 10 -Allow to cool completely if you want to easily cut into squares or messily scoop onto a plate and enjoy with coconut ice cream while hot
- Step 11 -Serve with Love and Enjoy!